41: Takeaways from Actuarial Talent Supply and Demand Study
Click Below to Listen to the Episode
This Episode’s Roadmap
“Business skills” are often brought up as something that actuaries need to have in order to be successful.
The question is: What business skills matter for actuaries?
This was laid out in the Actuarial Talent: Supply and Demand Study that was performed by the Economist Intelligence Unit and commissioned by the Society of Actuaries (SOA), Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS), and Canadian Institute of Actuaries.
During this episode, I share some of the takeaways I gathered from reading the report and discuss how you can apply them on your actuarial journey going forward.
Destination of Today’s Journey
After this episode, you’ll be able to:
- Identify common business skills that actuarial employers desire from entry level and mid-level career actuaries
- Understand some of the trends and challenges for actuaries in the Healthcare, Life Insurance, Property and Casualty, and Pension space and how these business skills apply within the context of their businesses
Compass: Guiding Quote for Success
“Start with the destination and then planning the route there is much easier.” – Noah Kagan, Online Entrepreneur
Toolkit: Useful Resources
- Full Actuarial Talent Study – Full 44 page report from the Economist Intelligence Unit. Breaks down industry trends, top skills actuarial employers are looking for, and expected average annual growth rate by Overall profession, Healthcare, Life Insurance, Property & Casualty Insurance, Pension, and Other. [PDF Download]
- Actuarial Talent Study: Executive Summary – 4 page Executive Summary from the Economist Intelligence Unit. Provides industry trends, top skills actuarial employers are looking for, and expected average annual growth rate by Overall profession. At a bare minimum, I suggest reading this. [PDF Download]
- FAQ for Actuarial Talent Study – Brief document addressing Frequently Asked Questions regarding the study approach and findings. Definitely a recommended read. [PDF Download]
- Free Audiobook from Audible – Listen to any of the books mentioned on Actuarial Journey for free on Audible.
Want more help with your journey?
- Actuarial Job Course: a completely free full-length course with videos, worksheets, tools, and community all geared to help your get your entry-level actuarial job and start your actuarial career.
- Create a study plan you’ll actually stick to!: This free video series will show you the step-by-step process to create you own Personalized Study Roadmap and design your Study Lifestyle
- Actuarial Journey Podcast: Get more insights and lessons learned each week sent directly to your phone!
- Actuarial Community: Feeling alone on your journey? Become a part of the Actuarial Journey Community!