5 Methods of Dealing With Overwhelm
Click Below to Listen to the Episode
This Episode’s Roadmap
Feeling overwhelmed seems to come with the territory of making any major change in life and pursing any major calling. As we know, the Actuarial Journey is a marathon, not a sprint, and sometimes the volume of what we need to do for work, fitness, family, and fun can feel a bit much.
It happens to us all along our journey, whether you’re applying for an actuarial job, studying for an SOA/CAS exam, working for as an actuary in insurance/consulting, or pursing a career change to actuarial work. Today’s episode, I share an experience where I felt that way and the 5 steps I typically take when dealing with overwhelm.
Destination of Today’s Journey
After this episode, you’ll be able to:
- Discover 5 methods that you can employ to deal with a feeling of overwhelm
- Choose ONE of those steps to implement the next time you are feeling overwhelmed
Compass: Guiding Quote for Success
“The battle begins anew everyday.” – Stephen Pressfield, author of the Legend of Bagger Vance and the War of Art and L
Milestones: Highlights of the session
- 5 methods for dealing with a feeling of overwhelm
- Start with you – Keep up sleep/exercise/breakfast
- Express it in whatever way is best for your style (talking, writing, drawing, activity)
- Get perspective on the situation and re-evaluate
- DO THE WORK!
Toolkit: Useful Resources
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield goes deep into the root causes of what keeps you from achieving your goals. Often when I am feeling overwhelmed, I return and give this book another read. Get the physical or Kindle book on Amazon by clicking here.
Want more help with your journey?
- Create a study plan you’ll actually stick to!: This free video series will show you the step-by-step process to create you own Personalized Study Roadmap and design your Study Lifestyle
- Actuarial Job Course: a completely free full-length course with videos, worksheets, tools, and community all geared to help your get your entry-level actuarial job and start your actuarial career.
- Actuarial Journey Podcast: Get more insights and lessons learned 4 days a week sent directly to your phone!
- Actuarial Community: Feeling alone on your journey? Become a part of the Actuarial Journey Community!
- Time-Saving Exam Smartcuts Guide: Free downloadable guide sharing exam strategies that are not only focused on shaving off study hours, but saving you months and years of studying all together