How Making the Lives of Others Around You Better Makes Your Journey Far Easier (Nick Thornley)
Click Below to Listen to the Episode
[button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://traffic.libsyn.com/actuarialjourney/14_-_How_Making_the_Lives_of_Others_Around_You_Better_Makes_Your_Journey_Far_Easier_Nick_Thornley.mp3″ target=”blank”] Download [/button] [button color=”dark” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/itunes” target=”blank”] iTunes [/button] [button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjobcourse.com” target=”blank”]Actuarial Job Course [/button] [button color=”dark” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/exams” target=”blank”]Exam Passing Strategies[/button]
Nick Thornley as degrees in computer science from Vanderbilt University and a masters in mathematics from University of Texas at Austin. Nick has worked at several large consulting firms including 2 of the Big Four accounting firms. Nick’s primary focus is teaming with EY’s audit practice to review assumptions used for pension financial disclosures, as well as teaming with transaction services to provide due diligence support.
Guiding Quote to Success
Nick shares how being appreciative of others and how making the lives of others’ better (even when delivering bad news) has guided each step toward success:
“Make EVERYONE’S day around you a little easier every day” – Unknown
Inspiration to Become an Actuary
Nick shares a really personal moment when he got a negative review at work, and the exact steps he took to turn that around.
Listen in to see how Nick identified his weaknesses and even more importantly to how he maximized his strengths.
Roadblock on the Journey
Living true to his theme, Nick continues to make the lives of others around him better by moving away from doing everything on a repetitive ad-hoc basis to automated, consistent results.
See how Nick took an idea, made a tool to save him time, which then got implemented nationally across him practice.
Greatest Professional Success
Applying advice given at the start of her journey to have a positive attitude has brought her amazing feedback.
What is an Actuary
2-Second answer: “Financial Mathematics”
10-Second answer: “I look at a company’s pension plans and I tell them what their risks and their costs are.”
Stellar Exam Strategy
Be realistic with yourself about how many hours you’re going to need to put in to pass.
Landing an Actuarial Job
Get as much general business background as possible (not just actuarial business)
Resource For your Journey
Nick recommends keeping things in balance and having fun too during the journey. Check out this book recommendation.
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Making the Connection
Want more help with your journey?
- Create a study plan you’ll actually stick to!: This free video series will show you the step-by-step process to create you own Personalized Study Roadmap and design your Study Lifestyle
- Actuarial Job Course: a completely free full-length course with videos, worksheets, tools, and community all geared to help your get your entry-level actuarial job and start your actuarial career.
- Actuarial Journey Podcast: Get more insights and lessons learned 4 days a week sent directly to your phone!
- Actuarial Community: Feeling alone on your journey? Become a part of the Actuarial Journey Community!
- Time-Saving Exam Smartcuts Guide: Free downloadable guide sharing exam strategies that are not only focused on shaving off study hours, but saving you months and years of studying all together