How To Keep Positive and Use Feedback to Help You Succeed (Gloria Amakobe)
Click Below to Listen to the Episode
Gloria Amakobe graduated from University of Delaware in 2008 with a Bachelors Degree in Mathematics and Economics and from University of Pittsburgh in 2010 with a Masters in Mathematics. Since graduating she has worked in the Actuarial and Insurance Managements Solutions practice at PwC and has is working on obtaining her credentials as an ACAS.
Guiding Quote to Success
Gloria doubles it up this episode with two guiding quotes about staying positive (especially during busy season at work and when in study mode):
“All things work together for the good of those who love the Lord” – Romans 8:28
“Success is the sum smaller efforts repeated day in and day out” – Robert Collier
Inspiration to Become an Actuary
Gloria started her journey as a PhD student and decided to become a P&C consulting actuary after a professor noticed a passion in business and Black Scholes.
Roadblock on the Journey
Even after studying enough and “doing everything she was supposed to do”, she still got a ‘5’ on the exam.
The key aspect is how Gloria took ownership of this and turned it all around.
Greatest Professional Success
Applying advice given at the start of her journey to have a positive attitude has brought her amazing feedback.
Stellar Exam Strategy
Track your time – You can’t cheat the 100 hours per hour of exam!
Landing an Actuarial Job
Network and network authentically. Listen to the quick fire section near the end of the episode for Gloria’s tips on networking effectively.
Resource For your Journey
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
Making the Connection
Want to get in touch with Gloria? She’s on LinkedIn and invites you to connect!
Want more help with your journey?
- Create a study plan you’ll actually stick to!: This free video series will show you the step-by-step process to create you own Personalized Study Roadmap and design your Study Lifestyle
- Actuarial Job Course: a completely free full-length course with videos, worksheets, tools, and community all geared to help your get your entry-level actuarial job and start your actuarial career.
- Actuarial Journey Podcast: Get more insights and lessons learned 4 days a week sent directly to your phone!
- Actuarial Community: Feeling alone on your journey? Become a part of the Actuarial Journey Community!
- Time-Saving Exam Smartcuts Guide: Free downloadable guide sharing exam strategies that are not only focused on shaving off study hours, but saving you months and years of studying all together