How to leverage the skills you develop on your journey outside of the actuarial world! (Nick Blitterswyk)
Click Below to Listen to the Episode
[button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://traffic.libsyn.com/actuarialjourney/18_-_How_to_leverage_the_skills_you_develop_on_your_journey_outside_of_the_actuarial_world_Nick_Blitterswyk.mp3″ target=”blank”] Download [/button] [button color=”dark” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/itunes” target=”blank”] iTunes [/button] [button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjobcourse.com” target=”blank”]Actuarial Job Course [/button] [button color=”dark” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/exams” target=”blank”]Exam Passing Strategies[/button]
Nick Blitterswyk is the founder and CEO of Urban Green Energy International (UGE) who prior to starting this company worked as an actuary, primarily in pension consulting.
LIFE: Lives in NYC and grew-up in Canada.
LOVE: Hockey and Sustainability
WORK: Founder and CEO of Urban Green Energy International (UGE), a renewable energy company
PASSION: Really doing things that you’re passionate about (talking about balance – he actually still finds time to play hockey too!)
Guiding Quote to Success
“A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” – Winston Churchill
How you deal with roadblocks, the unknown, and the challenges that come ahead is a big determinant to your success. Take the lead from Nick as we shares his insight into this.
First Step of the Journey
Nick ambition to become an FSA drove him forward to pass exams and get his fellowship… and once he did he found he had TIME.
With this time, he pursued a passion and interest that he just couldn’t let go. And so, he built a company around it.
Roadblock on the Journey
Nick holds nothing back this session as he shares two major roadblocks.
Hear how Nick had difficulty passing exams (even after blazing through exams in college) and figured out how to keep moving forward despite this.
In his current career, Nick faces uncertainty daily. The same doubts we face about whether you can actually pass all the actuarial exams and if you’re using your time wisely, he faced once again as he started the great unknown of building a company.
Greatest Professional Success
Nick got a chance to be the president of the actuarial science club back in college.
What he realized was how much leadership practice he got just by heading his student organization. Listen to how Nick found true management skills and problem-solving opportunities through this experience.
Most Excited About Now
Renewable energy is taking off and becoming more affordable in many markets and all over the world. Find out more about how UGE is making a difference.
Today’s Theme: How to leverage the skills you develop on your journey outside of the actuarial world
- Doesn’t regret spending his time getting his credentials at all – he’s using that professional experience still now#1 MOST IMPORTANT STUDY TIP OF ALL: Give yourself enough time to study!
- Remember and hone the transferrable skills (e.g. work ethic, quality work product, and more)
- Importance of written and verbal communication – Don’t need to be a super polished politician; Understand your audience
Useful Resources For Actuarial Toolkit
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap…And Others Don’t by Jim Collins [Kindle]
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap…And Others Don’t by Jim Collins [Free Audio Book]
- UGE International [website]
- Actuarial Students National Association [website]
- Foundation Youtube series hosted by Kevin Rose [ Youtube]
Making the Connection
Want to get in touch with Nick?
Want more help with your journey?
- Create a study plan you’ll actually stick to!: This free video series will show you the step-by-step process to create you own Personalized Study Roadmap and design your Study Lifestyle
- Actuarial Job Course: a completely free full-length course with videos, worksheets, tools, and community all geared to help your get your entry-level actuarial job and start your actuarial career.
- Actuarial Journey Podcast: Get more insights and lessons learned 4 days a week sent directly to your phone!
- Actuarial Community: Feeling alone on your journey? Become a part of the Actuarial Journey Community!
- Time-Saving Exam Smartcuts Guide: Free downloadable guide sharing exam strategies that are not only focused on shaving off study hours, but saving you months and years of studying all together