[Interview] Answers to your top questions about getting an entry level job (Deb Model)
Click Below to Listen to the Episode
This Episode’s Roadmap
We’re changing things up today as we’re joined by Deb Model, a former actuarial recruiter.
Deb answers some of the most asked questions regarding getting an entry-level actuarial position and shares some valuable tips and strategies for Journeyers to keep in mind.
Destination of Today’s Journey
After this episode, you’ll be able to:
- Understand key items actuarial employers look for in their entry-level employees
- Approach salary negotiation with confidence and knowledge (if you choose to negotiate)
- How you can set yourself apart from others
Compass: Guiding Quote for Success
“Knowledge is Power” – Unknown
Milestones: Highlights of the session
- In addition to consulting vs. insurance, important factors to consider in terms of job placement/market include:
- Geographic location
- Number of Exams Passed
- Size of Organization
- Organization Recruiting Schedules
- Internships / Related Experience
- Ways you can differentiate yourself
- Including an objective
- Show knowledge of exam process (e.g. including exams passed / sitting)
- So what if you’re not applying straight out of undergrad
- Obtaining a master’s degree
- Exploring options through company websites (especially during timing)
- If you choose to negotiate terms when given an offer, make sure you come in prepared. Deb shares how you can do that effectively.
Toolkit: Useful Resources
- Free Actuarial Job Course [Online Video Course]
- Find out how you can win a 30-day Subscription to ADAPT learning platform, courtesy of Coaching Actuaries [Sweepstakes Rules]
- Grab a Free Audiobook to help you with your job preparation [Free Audible Audiodook]
- Let Nemo know what questions you want to ask Deb when she returns [Send an Email]
Want more help with your journey?
- Create a study plan you’ll actually stick to!: This free video series will show you the step-by-step process to create you own Personalized Study Roadmap and design your Study Lifestyle
- Actuarial Job Course: a completely free full-length course with videos, worksheets, tools, and community all geared to help your get your entry-level actuarial job and start your actuarial career.
- Actuarial Journey Podcast: Get more insights and lessons learned 4 days a week sent directly to your phone!
- Actuarial Community: Feeling alone on your journey? Become a part of the Actuarial Journey Community!
- Time-Saving Exam Smartcuts Guide: Free downloadable guide sharing exam strategies that are not only focused on shaving off study hours, but saving you months and years of studying all together