[Interview] Answers to your top questions about getting an entry level job (Deb Model)
Click Below to Listen to the Episode
[button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://traffic.libsyn.com/actuarialjourney/24_Interview_Answers_to_your_top_questions_about_getting_an_entry_level_job_Deb_Model.mp3″ target=”blank”] Download [/button] [button color=”dark” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/itunes” target=”blank”] iTunes [/button] [button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjobcourse.com” target=”blank”]Actuarial Job Course [/button] [button color=”dark” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/exams” target=”blank”]Exam Passing Strategies[/button]
This Episode’s Roadmap
We’re changing things up today as we’re joined by Deb Model, a former actuarial recruiter.
Deb answers some of the most asked questions regarding getting an entry-level actuarial position and shares some valuable tips and strategies for Journeyers to keep in mind.
Destination of Today’s Journey
After this episode, you’ll be able to:
- Understand key items actuarial employers look for in their entry-level employees
- Approach salary negotiation with confidence and knowledge (if you choose to negotiate)
- How you can set yourself apart from others
Compass: Guiding Quote for Success
“Knowledge is Power” – Unknown
Milestones: Highlights of the session
- In addition to consulting vs. insurance, important factors to consider in terms of job placement/market include:
- Geographic location
- Number of Exams Passed
- Size of Organization
- Organization Recruiting Schedules
- Internships / Related Experience
- Ways you can differentiate yourself
- Including an objective
- Show knowledge of exam process (e.g. including exams passed / sitting)
- So what if you’re not applying straight out of undergrad
- Obtaining a master’s degree
- Exploring options through company websites (especially during timing)
- If you choose to negotiate terms when given an offer, make sure you come in prepared. Deb shares how you can do that effectively.
Toolkit: Useful Resources
- Free Actuarial Job Course [Online Video Course]
- Find out how you can win a 30-day Subscription to ADAPT learning platform, courtesy of Coaching Actuaries [Sweepstakes Rules]
- Grab a Free Audiobook to help you with your job preparation [Free Audible Audiodook]
- Let Nemo know what questions you want to ask Deb when she returns [Send an Email]
Want more help with your journey?
- Create a study plan you’ll actually stick to!: This free video series will show you the step-by-step process to create you own Personalized Study Roadmap and design your Study Lifestyle
- Actuarial Job Course: a completely free full-length course with videos, worksheets, tools, and community all geared to help your get your entry-level actuarial job and start your actuarial career.
- Actuarial Journey Podcast: Get more insights and lessons learned 4 days a week sent directly to your phone!
- Actuarial Community: Feeling alone on your journey? Become a part of the Actuarial Journey Community!
- Time-Saving Exam Smartcuts Guide: Free downloadable guide sharing exam strategies that are not only focused on shaving off study hours, but saving you months and years of studying all together