Consistently add value on the job as an actuary | Behind the Scenes Look at Actuarial Exam Writing and Grading (John Popiolek – parts 1 & 2)
Click Below to Listen to the Episode
[button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/itunes” target=”blank”] iTunes [/button] [button color=”dark” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/skills” target=”blank”] Learn Business Skills [/button] [button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/jobs” target=”blank”]Land a Job [/button] [button color=”dark” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/exams” target=”blank”]Pass Exams[/button] [button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/community” target=”blank”]Join Community [/button]
Ever wonder how an exam question came to be? Why are they so hard? Who dreams up what they should be? Today, we’re continuing our conversation with John Popiolek who shares his experiences as an actuarial exam grader and writer. While he’s not speaking on behalf of his employer or the SOA/CAS, his insight is something many Journeyers will find useful!
John Popiolek has been a pension actuarial consultant since 1987. He is a fellow of the Society of Actuaries and after completing his FSA has served as an exam writer and grader. He lives in Cherry Hill, NJ with his wife and daughter.
Guiding Quote to Success
Be Cool and Don’t Screw up!- College Friend of John’s
First Step of the Journey
Roadblock on the Journey
Today’s Theme: Behind the Scenes Look at Actuarial Exam Writing and Grading
During the Conversation John Shares his thoughts on the following:
- Process some exam writers take to generate questions
- How exam writers come to take on the role
- Whether exams questions have become harder specifically to keep the number of credentialed actuaries low
Useful Resources For Actuarial Toolkit
- How to Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie [Free Audiobook – Nemo’s Recommendation]
- “How to Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie [Amazon Book/Kindle – Nemo’s Recommendation]
- Contingencies Magazine – Contains articles related to the Actuarial Profession published by the American Academy of Actuaries
- The Actuary magazine – Great source for articles related to the Actuarial Profession
Making the Connection
Want to get in touch with John? Reach out to him through LinkedIn.
Want more help with your journey?
- Actuarial Community: Feeling alone on your journey? Become a part of the Actuarial Journey Community!
- Create a study plan you’ll actually stick to!: This free video series will show you the step-by-step process to create you own Personalized Study Roadmap and design your Study Lifestyle
- Actuarial Job Course: a completely free full-length course with videos, worksheets, tools, and community all geared to help your get your entry-level actuarial job and start your actuarial career.
- Actuarial Journey Podcast: Get more insights and lessons learned each week sent directly to your phone!
- Transcript of Today’s Episode
[toggles type=”accordian”][toggle title=”Click here to expand”](Transcript Pending)