How to Choose the Right Study Materials for You (Nancy Stevenson – Actuarial Bookstore)
Click Below to Listen to the Episode
[button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://traffic.libsyn.com/actuarialjourney/16_-_How_to_Choose_the_Right_Study_Materials_for_You_Nancy_Stevenson_-_Actuarial_Bookstore.mp3″ target=”blank”] Download [/button] [button color=”dark” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/itunes” target=”blank”] iTunes [/button] [button color=”primary” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjobcourse.com” target=”blank”]Actuarial Job Course [/button] [button color=”dark” size=”medium” url=”https://www.actuarialjourney.com/exams” target=”blank”]Exam Passing Strategies[/button]
Nancy Stevenson works for the Actuarial Bookstore, an online store that has study materials, online seminars and more to help actuarial students get the study materials they need.
Nancy has lived all over the world and has a true passion for travel, photography, and helping aspiring actuaries pass their exams.
Guiding Quote to Success
Nancy encourages Journeyers to “Do what you love” and shares how she realized that even with a great job, making the decisions.
First Step of the Journey
Nancy’s journey took an unexpected positive turn as her personal brand shines through an informal networking experience which led to her current job.
Roadblock on the Journey
As an assistant media planner, Nancy was responsible for researching and putting together the budget schedule for her client’s media.
The only thing was that she also had a mandatory training that seemed to take up just as much time as her actual job.
Nancy shows the importance of taking the time to “learn” and to develop yourself and how that only bolsters your success.
Greatest Professional Success
Nancy lives her own advice day after day as she does what she loves.
She understands just how helpful having people to talk to and ask questions to can be for aspiring actuaries.
Check out the recently released Live Chat feature and many other on the Actuarial Bookstore.
Today’s Theme: How to Choose the Right Study Materials for You
Nancy walks through how Journeyers can find the right style and right author for them in great detail.
Honestly Journeyers – take a few minutes to listen to Nancy’s sage advice. It’s definitely something that can help you make some smartcuts along your studying.
- #1 MOST IMPORTANT STUDY TIP OF ALL: Give yourself enough time to study!
- Reputation is good, but it’s not everything! Find the style that works for you (Hint: Use the Sample feature on the bookstore)
- There are several different styles and formats (online/offline books, formula sheets, online courses, seminars, webinars, etc.)
Achieving a work/life/study balance
Set Specific goals for the day and don’t stop until you’ve accomplished it.
Resource For your Journey
Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard H. Thaler, Cass R. Sunstein
(This also happens to be an FSA module book – two birds with one book!)
Making the Connection
Want to get in touch with Nancy?
Want more help with your journey?
- Create a study plan you’ll actually stick to!: This free video series will show you the step-by-step process to create you own Personalized Study Roadmap and design your Study Lifestyle
- Actuarial Job Course: a completely free full-length course with videos, worksheets, tools, and community all geared to help your get your entry-level actuarial job and start your actuarial career.
- Actuarial Journey Podcast: Get more insights and lessons learned 4 days a week sent directly to your phone!
- Actuarial Community: Feeling alone on your journey? Become a part of the Actuarial Journey Community!
- Time-Saving Exam Smartcuts Guide: Free downloadable guide sharing exam strategies that are not only focused on shaving off study hours, but saving you months and years of studying all together